Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Post-surgery chemo

Well, I’m sitting in a chair slowly being poisoned again.  This, they tell me, is a good thing.  J
I want to start this update with a very sincere “thank-you” and a bit of an apology.  I’ve been quite overwhelmed the last few weeks with the support we have received from family and friends.  Words are simply not enough to express our gratitude.  It is my sincere desire to respond personally to all the emails we’ve been receiving, but it may take a long time, so I’m sorry.  This is one of the areas in my life where I’m feeling very far behind!
Since my last update, my physical recovery from the surgery seems to be on course.  I had a CT scan last week, and yesterday the oncologist said it, as well as another test they ran (CEA – doesn’t mean much if it’s high, but is a good sign when it’s low) both suggested the cancer is gone.  So, the last four sessions of chemo are done to wipe out any microscopic remnant in an effort to prevent the cancer from returning.  I’m hoping that the long break from chemo will mean that it will be a little more like starting from the beginning, rather than picking up where we left off, especially in terms of tiredness.  I have some real concerns about the tingling/numbness in my hands and feet (causing me to have trouble with buttons and make a lot more mistakes when typing, which is a real concern given what I do for a living), but so far I’m thinking it’s better to avoid cancer recurrence than to worry about the tingling.
On other fronts, our finances are still not sorted out and continue to be a serious concern.  It frustrates me how slowly that’s going, even if a lot of the time it’s our doing (or lack thereof).  As Sue says, though, we’re both limited physically and/or emotionally right now.
However, the depression seems slowly to be getting a bit better.  I’ve had a few really wonderful days lately that have helped.  One day last week I got to see my son play a hockey game and then, thanks to a friend’s generosity in providing tickets, got to take him to a Flames game. Then I got to spend two days with my siblings who came to visit from Manitoba.  The four of us took a trip to Banff, and it feels like a very long time since I’ve been that happy.
To top things off, God seems to be answering prayers for us in ways that we feel we hardly deserve (e.g. getting a vehicle to replace our van (watch Sue’s blog for that story), having a $2,000 bill we didn’t know how we’d pay and receiving exactly that amount as a gift from someone we’ve never met)!  God is good!
Until next time...

No comments: